Guide to letting
We let a range of stunning properties, from studio apartments through to substantial family homes in key locations across central London, as well as Mayfair, Chelsea, Pimlico, Holland Park, Richmond, Teddington, Weybridge and Wimbledon, through our associated company, Jackson-Stops.
We understand that life gets busy and looking after your properties can be time-consuming. Whether you are just starting out on your buy-to-let journey or you are a seasoned investor building upon an extensive portfolio, we are able to match the right tenant to your property from our extensive database. We know what it takes to make the process as straightforward as possible for you.
The experience and local experience of our teams and the service we provide are the areas of our business we are most proud of. We will listen carefully to your specific needs and deliver a tailored service based on your requirements, aiming to exceed expectations whenever possible. We take time to understand you, which is why we have a large number of landlords who have chosen to stay with us for many years.
Our teams are provided with ongoing compliance training to ensure that you and your property are kept up to date with the latest industry regulations and legislative changes. All our offices have team members who are ARLA Propertymark qualified. A number of our staff are qualified members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS); we are regulated by ARLA Propertymark, the RICS, the Ombudsman Property: Services (OS:P) and the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS).
Your money is held under the RICS CMP Scheme, which means that all tenancy-related monies are protected.
A short let generates a greater return on rental income than a longer let and can produce a strong rental income on properties in areas that host high-profile events. Landlords living abroad are able to generate rental income whilst being away; payments are generally made upfront together with the deposit. Talk to us to find out more.
We have well-established relationships with all major relocation agents and many corporate companies in your area. This means we are often able to introduce longer length, professional tenancies, thus reducing the risk of void rent periods. We deal with the relocation agent throughout the entire process to ensure that all aspects of the tenancy progress smoothly, saving you valuable time. Talk to us to find out more.
We produce regular analysis of current market conditions and projected economic forecasts to help you achieve the strongest rental yields possible. We are always happy to provide tailored reports to our Landlords.
We will discuss a tailored marketing strategy and the ways in which you can enhance your property’s appeal to prospective tenants, therefore increasing the potential for higher income. We will market your property in the way that suits you, whether that be through approaching specific tenants, local search agents and corporate companies, or by making use of our full range of marketing tools.
We send out emails and make calls to our extensive tenant database when suitable matches are found. Your property will benefit from our established office network, which works closely to introduce your property to the widest audience possible. Potential tenants are introduced from other offices and this approach has produced some excellent results for our clients.
Over 90% of people begin their property search online. Your property can be listed to best effect on the major property portals, including Rightmove and Zoopla. Your property will also be listed on our own website, which is fully optimised across all devices, as well as the London property sharing site, Lonres.com. We monitor traffic to these sites closely and keep you updated regularly.
Your property can be promoted across a range of social media sites, predominantly Facebook and Twitter. Your property will benefit from the additional exposure this valuable marketing tool brings, its ability to reach a wider audience and the way in which it achieves a stronger ‘lifestyle’ connection between your property and potential tenants.
Some of our branches feature 24/7 interactive TV display screens to showcase your property to passers-by at any time of day or night.
Your property will feature in one or more of our office window displays. Many of our branches feature illuminated displays to ensure your property can be seen at any time.
Your property will be promoted by a ‘To Let’ board unless you request otherwise, or the property is bound by conservation or block regulations.
If you take care of your own property management, here is a list of tasks to complete when you manage your own rental property:
- Sign and return Terms of Business
- Organise an Energy Performance Certificate
- Arrange a Gas Safety Record
- Make sure all electric appliances and installations are safe and compliant
- Ensure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are fitted at the property
- Provide manuals of all appliances to tenants
- Arrange any pre-tenancy works
- Purchase items requested by tenants
- Book a professional clean
- Arrange for extra sets of keys
- Source an inventory company, book the inventory and check-in appointments (included in our rent collection service)
- Open utility accounts for the property
- Send rent demands when necessary (included in our rent collection service)
- Check rent is paid on time (included in our rent collection service)
- Chase unpaid rent (included in our rent collection service)
- Arrange day-to-day maintenance and repairs
- Arrange for access for contractors via tenants when works are required; attend when necessary
- Arrange payment of contractor invoices
- Retain invoices for tax purposes
- Visit the property regularly
- Deal with any insurance claims
- Send all statements to accountants
- Arrange payment of all service charges, if applicable
- Pay all insurance premiums for building and contents insurance
- Work with third parties such as building managers or party wall surveyors
- Book an end-of-tenancy inventory check-out
- Close all utility accounts
- Put together a deposit claim and negotiate deductions with tenant directly
- Carry out necessary works at the end of the tenancy
- Replace missing or damaged items ahead of the new tenancy
- Be on call 24/7 to deal with any emergency
…or why not trust us to manage your properties…
- Instruct Frank Harris & Company to manage your property/properties
- Sign and return our Terms of Business
- Fill out and return our Client Information Form
- Provide us with manuals of all the appliances at the property
…then sit back and let us take care of the rest.
Your property manager will visit your property twice a year and you will receive a report back afterwards on the visible condition of the property, how the tenants are caring for it and any recommendations on maintenance.
Our accounts department manages all rent payments for our clients; your rent is transferred to you upon clearance of funds.
Our highly experienced Property Management team takes care of all aspects of the tenancy, freeing up your own valuable time:
- We will liaise with your tenant at all times and take care of the day to day property maintenance issues, engaging ‘out of hours’ contractors as necessary.
- We have built up a trusted team of local contractors who have been chosen carefully for their professionalism, who prioritise our work and who offer preferential rates to you, our valued client.
Providing a dedicated, single point of contact for our landlords and tenants within Property Management means that we build strong, trusted relationships that stand the test of time.
Get in touch to discuss your property management requirements with us.
Latest From Us
Frank Harris’s Group Director, Tina Evans, tells us why January…